The Fifth Horseman: John G. Roberts: International Man of Mystery

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

 

John G. Roberts: International Man of Mystery

This confirmation process is, quite honestly, making me quite nervous. Mainly because, even after months of news reports and investigations, I still know next to nothing about where Roberts stands on The Issues. I was hoping that the start of the confirmation hearings yesterday would clear up some of my doubts.

Sadly, they haven't. If anything, the Senate Confirmation hearings only reinforced my doubts.

Roberts, a sly and crafty devil, consistently managed to answer the Committees softball questions without actually revealing anything about his stances on women's and gay rights, among other things.

Here is an excerpt of a portion of Joe Biden's questioning of Roberts:

BIDEN: Do you agree that there is a right of privacy to be found in the liberty clause of the Fourteenth Amendment?

ROBERTS: I do, Senator. I think that the court's expressions, and I think if my reading of the precedent is correct, I think every justice on the court believes that, to some extent or another.

First of all, Roberts didn't really answer the question. He managed to avoid actually telling Biden his personal views, while still managing to sound reassuring to us Principled Left-Wingers.

However, I am hardly reassured.

First of all, let me take issue with this statement: "I think every justice on the court believes that, to some extent or another." This is most unsettling of all. If Roberts is indeed a justice in the mold of Rehnquist, Thomas, and Scalia, we're all fucked. The three conservative justices, like Roberts, professed to believe in privacy rights. However, according to the Three Amigos, these privacy rights don't apply to gays and women, as they have tried to infringe upon the rights of both groups numerous times.

So, you can understand why Robert's sweet nothings are hardly reassuring to me.

However, Democrats are to blame for this fiasco, as well. The Democrats were hardly aggressive in their questioning of Roberts. In fact, with the exception of Joe Biden, most of the Democrats seemed content to allow Roberts to get way with his bullshit. Of all the Democrats, Biden was the only one with enough balls to confront Roberts about his question-dodging, calling Robert's avoidance of the questions "misleading".

So, here's my message to the Democrats: Grow some balls, and start asking the tough questions. This man is being nominated for life to the highest Judicial Body in the nation. He could do some serious damage to a woman's right to choose and gay rights, if he turns out to be a Right-Wing Loony. So, start questioning him.

However, one thing about Roberts frightens me more than others. More frightening than anything else is this: The Family Research Council Applauds Roberts' Abortion Answer. The FRC is a militantly hateful anti-gay and anti-women's rights group with the ultimate goal of converting the United States into a Christian Theocracy. Their approval of Roberts alone is almost enough to make me hate the man, even if he does turn out to be a Moderate or Liberal.

Finally, I bring to you this last tidbit of information. The words "Impeach Bush" are holding steady at #1 on the Technorati list of searches.

Hats off to the folks over at the Impeach Bush Coalition for helping to create Blogger Buzz for the Bush Impeachment. This nation needs Regime change. And we need it now, before Bush can kill off any more of us through his criminal negligence.

Comments:
I watched a couple of hours of the process yesterday and today. I was very impressed with Roberts... Very! The man has a memory that amazes, and he simply refuses to be baited into anything. A very impressive man! Even Sen. Biden say to Roberts 'You're the best I've ever seen before the committee." So don't worry.
 
I sincerely hope you are being ironic.
 
Yes, I was being ironic, however, he dose refuses to be baited into anything.
 
Indeed.

In fact, his smooth refusals to be baited are part of what worries me so much. Roberts has, so far, managed to keep his real views a secret.

That is worrisome, to say the least.
 
These hearings are funny to watch. Judge Roberts is toying with them and they know it. Roberts is very good at keeping a straight face. One thing Roberts said when asked, what his favorite movies were,.. "Doctor Zhivago" and "North by Northwest."
Not a bad answer, I like "Doctor Zhivago" also.

Peace
 
Even more amusing is Jon Stewart's coverage of the hearings on The Daily Show. As always, Stewart provides some of the most hilarious, yet stingingly insightful and relevant, coverage of the Folly Of Our Friends in Washington.

It's been nice talking to you.
 
Hey, Technorati buzz! What a brilliant way to get Shrub impeached!
 
And as for Mr. Anonomyous...

I don't actually think we're going to get Bush impeached. I wish we could, but I'm not holding my breath.

However, the Impeach Bush campaign does have the potential to intensify calls for an independent investigation into the Administration's Hurricane Katrina failings.
 
I agree there should be a Independent Investigation (Commission), Bush was incompetent. As for the Impeach Bush Campaign, all I can say is "You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."
 
"You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar."

I'm afraid I'm not seeing what you mean.
 
An old adage says,- that you catch more flies with honey than with vinegar - meaning that if one can protest and be nice, one might draw more support than those who protest and are not nice about it.
It seems obviously one can't impeach him, so one going to have be nicer then him.
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?