The Fifth Horseman: On Contraception, The Daily Show, Crooks, Liars, etc.

Saturday, August 27, 2005

 

On Contraception, The Daily Show, Crooks, Liars, etc.

First up, on today's report, is some healthcare news. By now, you've probably heard that the FDA has, yet again, delayed its decision on sale of the morning-after pill. Putting politics before science and common sense, Director Lester M. Crawford yet again delayed the decision. His reasons?
According to the New York Times:

Lester M. Crawford, the commissioner of food and drugs, said in a news conference that his agency had decided that the science supported giving over-the-counter access of the drug to women 17 and older, but that the agency could not figure out how to do that from regulatory and practical standpoints without younger teenagers' obtaining the pills, too.


So, sale of this pill has been delayed because Lester is afraid of teenagers having safe sex? Sorry to break it to you Lester, but denying teenagers the morning-after pill isn't going to keep them from going at it. They'll continue to got at it, and just get pregnant more often, brining young infants into a world of poverty and scorn. Meanwhile, women that actually need emergency contraception are suffering for Lester's stupidity.

Now, let's move on to a lighter, more amusing topic: Thursday night's Daily Show. For those of you that don't already know, Jon Stewarts guest on Thursday was conservative writer Christopher Hitchens. Over the course of the interview, Hitchens and Jon eventually got into a polite, yet heated debate over Bush and the Iraq War. Jon then proceeded to politely rip Hitchens a new asshole. If you missed Thursday's show, I recommend that you watch the clip here at Crooks and Liars.

Now, let's move on to another subject that's dear to my heart: Cindy Sheehan and the peace movement. According to a new AP-Ipsos poll, nine out of ten Americans support Sheehan's right to protest the war. This is in sharp contrast to the right-wing crazies, many of whom seem to believe that Cindy's protest borders on treason. Luckily, the American public does not share this viewpoint. 90% of the nation disagrees with the Far Right with regards to Cindy Sheehan. These right-wingers are not in the main stream. They can't even see the shore from their position.

Now, let's move on to my final topic: The Pat Robertson Fatwa. A real Christian public figure has finally stepped forward, in the form of Rev. Jesse Jackson, and called for the FCC to fine Pat Robertson for his on-air call for murder.

The sheer fact that the FCC hasn't yet fined Robertson is, quite frankly, ridiculous. A brief glimpse of Janet Jackson's breast for five seconds on CBS was enough for the FCC to fine the network $550,000. Yet, Pat Robertson advocates cold-blooded murder, and he doesn't get so much of a slap on the wrist?

Now, I'm opposed to censorship. I believe that, no matter how twisted and misguided Robertson is, it was in his rights to say that. And yet, I find it hypocritical that the FCC fines a network for exposing a breast, yet it won't fine Robertson for calling for murder. Where's the consistency? What would have happened if Robertson had called for the murder of an American President? Would he have been punished? You bethca. He would have been ran out of his job on a wave of angry, right-wing, moralistic outrage. And yet, these same moralistic nuts who almost ran Clinton out of office for a blowjob, won't say a thing about Robertson threatening a foreign Head of State.

Where is the justice?

Comments:
what a bunch of liberal B.S. I wouldn't expect more out of this guy!
 
There's no need to get nasty, my friend. I never attacked you, so don't attack me.

It's alright to disagree with me, as long as you do it in a polite, level-headed manner. Rabid, personal attacks, such as the one you just penned, are unneccesary and will lead me to disregard your opinion as worthless.

If you want me to take you seriously, then post your dissent in a cordial, friendly manner.

If I thought like Ann Coulter, I would use your single comment as the basis to brand all conservatives as juvenile morons. Luckily for you, I'm not Ann Coulter, so I won't hold your juvenile outburst against other, more capable conservatives.

Don't worry. There's no need to thank me.
 
FCC doesn't regulate cable TV. I'm not saying that to say that Robertson was right in what he did. He wasn't. If Rev. Jesse Jackson said something, that's awesome. More Christian leaders should. He should be renounced loudly and soon. Waiting too long will lessen the effectiveness. I heard Chavez has already made a 'comeback' statement, but I'm not sure exactly what he said.
 
Hmmm...I didn't know that about the FCC. Or if I did, I probably just forgot. I have a tendency to get a little carried away when I start writing.

Oh well, thanks for pointing that out to me. And thanks for being coridal about it. I don't get very much of that.
 
Chavez's comeback was to say that if he is assassinated, blame Bush, because it's his fault. Pat Robertson might have some control over Bush, but Bush can't control Robertson. Pat is too diabolical to be controlled.
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20050826/wl_nm/venezuela_chavez_dc
 
Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?